Parkinson’s Disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that progresses over time – from mild to late stages, the disease causes symptoms and challenges not only to the patient but to the affected family members as well.
When caring for someone with Parkinson’s, it’s important to be organized and planned to reduce stress for them and you. The journey of every patient with Parkinson’s disease is different, so the approach to care is also different. Therefore, personalized care plans and healthcare professionals who have a home care plan in place are essential for long-term success.
Precautions for Parkinson’s disease at home
One of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s is mobility – therefore, home safety and accessibility come first. The following are some basic steps they can take to minimize their fall risk:
- Removing carpets and other obstacles can minimize the risk of falls.
- Anti-Slip Floor Wax should be used to clean vinyl, hardwood, and tile floors. Provides additional space for daily stretching or training.
- Electric cables must be hidden.
- All switches must be within reach of your loved one.
- Install bedside lamps.
3- Arrangement of Furniture:
- Furniture must be stable and accessible in their homes
- They must be placed at least 5.5 feet apart.
- Install handrails on stairs.
Clean carpets of all decorative items such as floor vases, glassware
4 kitchen modifications
Replace small knobs with several large knobs or handles. items must be kept between the belt and the chest.
5- Bathroom Design
Install handrails near toilets, sinks, tubs/showers indoors and outdoors. continuous showers are ideal. If not, use a shower chair or the Bathroom Transfer Bench. Use non-slip mats inside or outside of tubs and sinks to improve grip. Forget the bar of soap and position the detergent bottles within easy reach.
Every product (toilet paper, towels, bathroom/toiletries) should be within reach.
Mobility Support for Parkinson’s Patients
- Freezing is a typical Parkinson’s side effect wherein the individual out of nowhere loses full oversight over development and his/her hands and legs feel inflexible.
- By provoking constantly, delicately, and calmly you can assist them with becoming unstuck.
- Request that they envision venturing over a fanciful article or line – while this sounds straightforward, it functions admirably.
- Purchase a walker or rollator having a laser pointer that is uniquely intended for Parkinson’s
Exercising can be troublesome, however, is extremely valuable for the versatility of an individual with Parkinson’s – physiologically, it assists the mind with utilizing dopamine. a substance engaged with development to help. Crushing an elastic ball helps make hands and fingers more adaptable.
Day-to-day strolls and a simple work-out daily practice inside the home aides in keeping muscles and joints serious areas of strength for more
Joining yoga classes can likewise be useful.
3-Failure to swallow
- Trouble or failure to swallow (dysphagia) is an upsetting side effect of Parkinson’s that influences 80% of the patients.
- Plan for 45 minutes for this assignment – don’t rush them, that will just exacerbate the situation. Guarantee their food is finely slashed or in purée structure to work with eating.
- Examine with the doctor, if your cherished one stifles or spews food-she might suggest a gulping assessment and make a treatment arrangement. If your cherished one’s capacity to swallow turns out to be more regrettable, a guardian Should help them with hand-taking care.
- Assist them with remaining hydrated over the course of the day.
While there is no fix to Parkinson’s sickness, there are sure restorative mediations that can help in limiting its secondary effects by forestalling muscle fits, gulping troubles, loss of equilibrium, discourse issues, and amending temperamental walk. These are a few fundamental components that assume an imperative part in a patient in-home consideration plan for Parkinson’s and in the connected mental degradations that are more baffling for the impacted individual than their loved ones: